Skip to main content

It's A Good Day To Be King 👑

A group picture of the 2023 Homecoming Court and friends

Last week was the annual Homecoming weekend for Ohio Northern University. This is a time of celebration of those who have graduated from our university in the past and have come back to catch up with old friends and new students. For current students, our various organizations host tables and events to catch up with our former members and show off to the community what we've been up to. But one event in particular celebrates those in the community whose peers have elevated them as a point of pride for the whole university to see: The Homecoming Court.

The Homecoming Court is a group of 10 students elected by their peers to represent their organization and stand for a chance to be crowned homecoming royalty. This is a campus-wide event that draws in all students to decide who they want to represent the spirit of ONU. It is a small and short event time wise, but it is special nonetheless. Especially for me when this was never something I imagined myself doing in the past, let alone winning the crown!

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to win more than anything! I am aware I have a good reputation amongst my peers and the community beyond that. I've made a name for myself just being myself and kind to those around me. But much of that reputation only came within the past year or two when I really became more active in the community. Until the end of my sophomore year or so I was much more reserved and quieter than I am now. I didn't have nearly as much confidence and was fairly shy. But then I made the effort to put myself out there more socially and interact with everyone I could even if I was nervous. I also became the leader of a fraternity and other organizations on campus, so I gained the confidence in myself and my abilities I had lacked before. And I guess in the end it paid off! 

When I won the nomination from the first round of voting I was so amazed! Even if I didn't win the royalty, I was already excited I got to be on the court with friends and others I already knew. And on top of that I got to do many things I would never have done like ride on the trolley at the beginning of the homecoming parade, get special homecoming court attire (a sash and a boutonniere), and stand in front of a stadium full of my friends and family to be recognized as a true representative of the community. The energy on that field was so intense standing there as we waited to hear the results of the vote. And then...the names of the 2023 ONU Homecoming Royalty were announced.

Faith Hampton and Michael Gallagher

I won homecoming royalty! It took me a second for it to set in that it was my name that was called because of the immediate wall of cheering that happened. But once it clicked I couldn't help but smile and laugh. I did it! I became ONU's Homecoming King! And Faith is such a good person to win Homecoming Queen with. I didn't know much about her before the day of the parade, but from what I have learned she is a very sweet and strong person, she's going to achieve a lot in her future. 

This is easily my favorite day of senior year so far. It's still so surreal that I am the homecoming king of the place I have called home for the past couple of years. Now I go back to my regular classes and life as normal, but I will always have the memory of that day.

It's a good day to be a king. 

Comments

  1. Congratulations on winning homecoming king, Michael! I'm sure everything was an amazing experience. Especially being able to ride a trolley in the parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase Coburn: Congrats, Michael, I remember seeing you at the game with a big smile on your face. I wouldn't want anyone else to be our king.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a