Skip to main content

Ranting About My Car For 480 Words

Me holding part of my car in my hand after it broke last week.

Back in high school I was a big fan of sports cars. Specifically, my favorite was the Ford Mustang. Growing up many of my family members worked at Ford or with Ford vehicles so I was always around them. I appreciated the make and models because that is what I was always familiar with. When it came time to buy my own car when I was getting my license, there was one natural choice. The Ford Mustang.

Of course, back then I couldn't afford the newer models or the insurance rates with them. So, I had to look backwards in time to find a model I could afford. This landed me with a 2000 Ford Mustang. This one was one of the fox body frame versions so it was a smaller mid-range car compared to the modern iterations. It was perfect for a 16-year-old like myself. On top of that it only cost me $2000 at the time. This was especially nice because of the good condition it was in and the relatively low miles it had for a car of its age. 

It wasn't perfect by any means. The gas milage was bad, the tank was small, the car interior was tiny and it had this weird window tint on only the rear window. But despite all that, it was mine and I loved it. It suited all of my needs at the time. But as I got older naturally so did the car. Unfortunately, the car started racking up problems and repairs.

In the span of three years the car cost me it's value in repairs and then some. First, the transmission failed a few months after getting it. Then, my front brakes failed and had to be replaced. Finally, the engine developed multiple cracks in it causing various parts to be replaced. Even later on about a year ago my entire exhaust system backfired and destroyed itself so that cost me $1000 alone! The benefits of having this car began to outweigh the cost. 

To top it all off, last week my car's rear brakes failed and partially fell off my car. Literal chunks of it were in the road in Ada. So now I likely have to spend up to $700 to get that fixed. Thankfully I have plenty of money saved up to fix it. Most of that money was supposed to go towards buying a new car though. So now I am stuck in a spiral of either keep fixing this car to have a vehicle which I need or trying to make enough money to hopefully save up to buy a new car. 

Even with all the faults and hardships this car has brought me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Because at the end of the day I can still be happy I got my dream car as my first car.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that your car basically fell apart! Everything shouldn't be too hard to fix though, brakes are easy on those 2000s Mustangs. Let's hope that nothing else comes flying off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your car problems! $2000 is a pretty good deal for a mustang though. I have a 2008 Kia and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a