Skip to main content

My Backpack Finally Fell Apart

We all have items we hold onto for a long time. These things cannot be destroyed easily or we refuse to let them go even if they fall apart. Whether it's a favorite jacket, childhood stuffed animal or something else of importance, we don't like getting rid of what we become attached to. Unfortunately I came across a scenario last week where I was forced to be rid of one of my longest lasting personal belongings, my high school backpack.

During my childhood and due to our family business falling on hard times my family didn't have a whole lot of expendable income. We lived comfortably but we didn't spend money on unnecessarily expensive things or items that could be bought in a cheaper form. As such we made a lot of things last as long as they could. One such thing was my bookbag I had been using since 6th grade. It was this cheap Walmart brand backpack that had been worn out to its max by sophomore year of high school because my school forced us to carry around textbooks that were too heavy for the backpack to handle. So it came time for me to get a new one.

We went to the store to pick out a new one soon after the 6th grade one broke. Naturally my Mom said to get the exact same model as my old one because it was cheap. But I wasn't having it. I know it's weird for a guy to care about something as small as a backpack, but my 6th grade one was uncomfortable, sat weird on my body no matter how I adjusted it, and was made of the thinnest weakest material Walmart could overcharge me for. So after a lengthy argument with my Mom she finally agreed to let me get a more expensive backpack with a higher quality to it. She didn't like spending twice the price on it for me, but I didn't care because I knew it was worth it.

My old backpack

This backpack lasted me over seven years. Even for an expensive backpack at that time it should've broke years ago. But I took very good care of it and made sure not to overload it like my previous one. It was made of a tougher material and had multiple layers to it, so damage was localized and easy for me to fix or clean. And it had plenty of pockets so all my belongings weren't jumbled inside. It was perfect for what I needed for a long time.

To put in perspective the breadth of time and distance I had this backpack for I put a few stats below. My old backpack was with me for:

3 different countries

Nearly the entire east coast

9 family vacations

My first ever airplane flight

Hundreds of thousands of miles of travel

One river I fell into

And me losing it on an airplane bound for Washington D.C.

Unfortunately even the sturdiest things can fall into disrepair. That thing was my backpack last week, which finally tore at the seams and I could not find a way to repair it. So now I am unto the next backpack. But it was an interesting thought experiment to look back and remember how much one item has been with me for most of my life over the past seven years.


Comments

  1. I definitely feel the same way about some items that I will try to find a way to repair them. Then, I would think back on the time I spent with that item. However, I can understand you arguing with your mother to get a better backpack after your last one! I would say you made a pretty good argument, that backpack lasted you for awhile!! My question is now, will you get a new one or get the same backpack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a new one! Similar make, but different style that is easier on my back and suits my post-college needs more

      Delete
  2. Chase Coburn: Haha, Great blog, my man!! I feel like I always ride out my bookbags until they are falling apart. I still use my bag from my sophomore year in high school!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a