Skip to main content

Building Gunpla: What I Do With My Downtime

The current Gundam shelf in my apartment

If you know me well enough you would know that I am quite the nerd when it comes to space, robots and comic book-adjacent media. From a young age I wanted to be an astronaut and studied space like my life depended on it, Transformers was some of the first media outside of what my parents directly showed me that I was exposed to, and my dad's comic books were my favorite things as a kid. Well what happens when you combine all of those things? You get Mobile-Suit Gundam.

I wrote a previous blog on a Gundam series called "Mobile-Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury" earlier last year, so if you want to check out elements of one of the TV shows click here. But what I really want to talk about is the Gundam model kits that accompany the suits in the shows. 

The model kits that emulate the suits in the Gundam anime are called Gunpla, derived from the name "Gundam Plastic Model." Since the 1980s Gunpla have been popular model kits in Japan and the rest of the world for their high level of detail and the enjoyment of building it. They are like Lego, but with more work. I personally believe the work is worth it but I know not everyone shares the same sentiment. 

In order to start one of these models you will need to buy one first. Gunpla models can easily be found at Hobby Lobby and other comic book stores in-store or online at various different sites. Then you will need a model tool kit. These are a set of tools used for cutting the plastic sprue the pieces are injection molded in and doing other maintenance on them. These can also be found at the aforementioned places. And then you can begin building (finally).

A layout of my tool kit, plastic sprue, and instruction book for a Gunpla

The complexity is hard to describe without getting very technical about the details, but in short the complexity can be broken into the following most common categories: High Grade, Real Grade, Master Grade, and Perfect Grade. These generally are in order of complexity, piece count and average price range. My favorite ones to build are the Master Grade. They are complex, usually harder to get, and take much more time. It is like my own form of painting. Each kit may be the same in the instructions, but as you build them you find ways the kit will become your own. Whether it is a chip out of the plastic you make, an extra sticker you apply or simply how you pose it when it is finished, the kit will be your own by the time it is finished.

The inner frame of the kit I am working on

I have made a few of these kits in the past couple of years and I definitely say this is one of my favorite ways to spend my alone time. It is so easy to put on a playlist and listen to something while I build the next kit in my backlog. If this blog interested you at all in trying this hobby I highly recommend you explore it! If you decide to only build one that is okay, you will have that one model to display however you wish.

Comments

  1. Chase Coburn: Great blog, I found it really interesting and I actually have never heard of those before but thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a