Skip to main content

ONU Blog: The Next Step...

My New President's Pin

As of writing this blog we are less than 2 weeks away from finals week here at Ohio Northern University. Coming off of the relaxing high of Thanksgiving break, for some this period of time can either be an uphill battle or a crash to the finish. But either way this semester is coming to a close. With that comes a lot of new changes and the end of some eras. For me there are a lot of things that fall under that category, but the one that I want to talk about today is a big change in my life. I am now the President of Phi Mu Delta!

 This has been a change I have been anxious for a long time. Taking leadership is one thing, but accepting it in a difficult time in another. My fraternity has undergone some changes lately that have unfortunately hurt morale overall. Now I am coming into my leadership when it is now my responsibility to ease the frustration over those recent events. On top of that, my fraternity has a large older base of members who are going alum earlier then I had anticipated. Meaning that now I have less older experienced people to rely on. 

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to be in this position and it's an honor to be the leader of a fraternity. Honestly if I went to a bigger school like I had originally planned this likely wouldn't be possible. I've devoted a lot of time and energy into this organization and some of my best friends came from that. Being apart of a group has always been a part of who I am. I'm the kind of person who wants to have a cause, to fight for something bigger than myself. Phi Mu Delta granted me that. It's just hard becoming a leader at a low point. My mental health is doing okay considering it's almost dead week. But it's sometimes hard not to feel nervous, scared, or even like I have already failed at something that just started.

As time goes on though I'm sure my anxiety will fade. I may not be super close with every member of my fraternity but I trust them and I trust their devotion to one another. Hopefully that serves us well.


(Sidenote: It's weird this blog assignment is almost over. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about blogging, but to be honest it's not that bad! Maybe I'll continue this in some form, treat it like a journal.)

Comments

  1. It is honorable! Sometimes being a leader of any community is stressful and not easy but there would be many things to learn from being it. I have experienced a leader before and I struggled with a lot but I learned and grew up. I hope you will enjoy being a leader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an accomplishment to become president! It not only takes a certain level of dedication but also takes a leader to become that. It may be difficult to adjust immediately but remember that no one is 100% prepared when they start a new position. I am sure you will do great and lead Phi Mu Delta well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its an honorable achievement to be the president of a fraternity. Being under major stress and still overcoming that is another honorable achievement in itself. That is awesome, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on becoming president of PMD Micheal. That is a huge accomplishment and I know you will do great things there! You will learn how to become a better leader through this experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a