Skip to main content

Chapter 14: Influencer Marketing With Social Media

Social media is not all bots talking to each other. It relies on people, and those people talking to other people and everybody listening to each other. But there are always people who will talk more than others and online they are looked up to. That person is what we can refer to as an influencer.

Influencers aren't new. They've been around for centuries as people have tried to reach larger audiences with ideas and products. But the concept of this chapter focuses on social media influencers, a relatively new idea in the world of digital marketing. Funny enough some of the first social media influencers were writing blogs like this one. It's interesting to see what can start from something so small. 

An influencer isn't just a person, they're someone who knows their environment and how to use it to its maximum effect. You can't have any old Joe representing a brand, you need someone credible and with a lot of reach. This reach can range from nano levels of a few people to mega levels of more than a million. Each level has its own perks and drawbacks but each are good for different marketing efforts. On top of that they also need to care about the brand or subject they're representing. Football players represent football and football products, not musical instruments. But above all else they need to be interesting and engaging. When you interact with someone often enough they become part of your social routine. This is what an influencer ultimately does, they become a part of your social circle from a distance. 

I have never had any interaction with influencers outside of the simulation. But through this and reading the chapter, the attitude I approach them with makes more sense. They are a marketing tool but with thoughts and ambitions. I can't slap a number on them and call it a day. I have to put effort into their interests and how I will compensate them for their use of influence. Just like the people they influence I have to care about how in influence them to further my brand. Everything really does come full circle. 

Comments

Popular

ONU Blog: I Made Fudge!

 So if you know me well you'd know that I like to cook and bake. And if you don't know me...well now you know I like to cook. I can't always cook with my schedule and lack of money, but when I can I love to make complex and rewarding dishes. Salmon cakes, roasted Brussel sprouts, garlic crusted mac & cheese and more. But above all else I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts. One of my favorite desserts to make is fudge. Fudge is a very simple recipe but highly modifiable and enjoyable. Many recipes mark themselves as "3 ingredient fudge" where the only ingredients are chocolate, condensed milk, and vanilla. While this basic combination is delicious on its own there is much more depth to be added. And that is half the fun of cooking and baking, experimenting! Try adding ingredients you would use in other recipes like brown sugar or almond extract. Or try something wild like lemon juice or potato chips. I've tried multiple combos both "original

ONU Blog: Live Coverage of Homecoming Football

 Over the weekend I had the pleasure of being in the best seat in the house for ONU's homecoming football game. I work for the team filming clips and plays for review at a later date. Because of that I get to stand in the scoreboard endzone and see plays head-on. I can also zoom in and see plays up close with my special camera.  My viewpoint from the endzone So with this in mind I decided to live tweet the event from my viewpoint! I could get in close and see everything in more detail than anybody. This was an interesting challenge as I had to quickly swap between using the camera and tweeting while making sure I didn't miss a play. In the end I was able to tweet a lot more than I thought I could and get coverage for every single quarter to Twitter. I hope I can find more opportunities to do something like this in the future. If you want to see my string of live tweets, check out my school Twitter account below. https://twitter.com/BlogBuddy99

ONU Blog: It's The Little Things

I have always been one to appreciate little things. Tiny gifts? Love 'em. Small dogs? They have my heart. Bite-sized snacks? Easy pick. Short people? They're more on my level becasue I'm short for a guy! But what I more mean by "little things" is small details about everyday life. Things that people don't always pay attention to much. Those things mean the world to me.  When you're the kind of person who always try's to acknowledge the smallest details, when someone does the same it means so much. That is the boat I'm in. Many people I've met simply try to see the big picture of it all and leave the small things to be smoothed over. But when I approach something I try to take it piece by piece. Each piece may be small, but with time those small pieces make something big! It takes more time than blanket approach attitudes, but I've always been a "quality over quantity" person. For example, gifts. Big and impressive gifts are nice a